Join us for a walk! A daily brisk walk can help us live a healthier life. It has been touted as “the closest thing we have to a wonder drug,” by Dr. Thomas Frieden, former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We agree! That’s why we are starting our first walking group program this spring. The program will begin on May 1st and end 12 weeks later in July. Walks will be 20-30 minutes long. Distance will vary depending on pace.
So let’s have fun, make new friends and experience new things together with Crook County On The Move’s Let’s Walk Together program! You must register to participate, but there is no cost to join. Keep reading to learn about all the experiences we have planned.
If you haven’t registered, choose a group with a walking pace and schedule that best suits you. Then use the Register Here button to sign up and join the next scheduled time for the group you chose! (If you have health concerns, please check with your doctor before starting our program.)
Once Registered, log your activity with the button below so we can track your activities for prize drawings. For every 10 minutes of activity, you’ll earn additional chances to win prizes!
THE WALKING GROUPS
Our hosted groups are listed below by Team Name – Days of Week – Start Time – Host – Meet Up Location – Route & surfaces
Groups will start walking at the time designated, so please show up a few minutes early.
- Un-de-feet-ables – M & F – 8:30 am -Rod & Donna Barnes – Juniper Art Guild/Mt View Park, 1665 SE Mountain View Rd south of Starbucks off Combs Flat Road – Sidewalks/Paved Trails/Short Hills, occasionally multi-surface (if going to Barnes Butte Area).
- Booking’ It – W & F – 10 am – CC Library – Library East Parking Lot – Downtown Sidewalks
- JabberWalkies – T & Thurs – 9 am – Carol Benkosky & Kristi Hiaasen -Harwood Park, 755 NW Harwood Ave – Walking Ochoco Creek Paved Trail – Handicap accessible, benches available along trail to rest.
AS A BONUS to our walking groups, we encourage our participants to join the Prineville Oregon Running Klub (P.O.R.K.) on Wednesday nights at 6:00 (meeting at NE 4th St between Main and Belknap) and Sunday mornings at 8:30 (meeting at Starbucks parking lot) to get in extra walking days and log more prize minutes. This is a great group of people we know you will enjoy – and don’t be intimated by the name…there are runners of course, but there are also joggers, sloggers and walkers! And, YES, these walking minutes also count for prize drawings!
Great experiences are planned as we KEEP MOVING, BE NOURISHED and STAY REFRESHED together. Explore different types of movement. Learn to Dish Up meals that nourish your body. Go on hikes that refresh your soul. Join benefit walks to help our community. Attend our Garden Party. These activities also give you additional ways to Log Your Activity and earn extra minutes for prize drawings!
A few experiences are highlighted in the slide show below, but you’ll want to download the full list of fun here: GROUP EXPERIENCES
THE SOCIAL SIDE OF THINGS
And yes…there is an app for this!
In addition to our facebook page, we created a group in Team Reach. Once registered for our walking group, we will email a code to our Team Reach group where you can connect with other walkers, post pictures and invite others in the group to walk with you. This isn’t required, but we’ve thrown it into the mix just for fun! (You’ll have to download the app to your phone as it is app-based only.)
We will still use facebook with #walktogether2023 as our hashtag, but for those who just want to connect directly with our other walkers, Team Reach is a great way to do that!
But wait! There’s more…Be sure to look around our website as there are so many great tips, event notices, and resources to make those small lifestyle changes that can make a big difference in your health. Explore our YouTube Channel where you’ll find short videos and you can log 10 minutes by watching a video!
Our partners and members have shared favorite resources to help us add life to our years as we stay healthy together. Let us know if you have a personal favorite that we might add to the list!
Articles, Books and Videos:
- Why Walk? Walking Tips and Benefits – Article – compiled by CCOTM
- Experience Prineville Maps – Interactive Maps with walking and biking routes to explore Prineville’s Art, History and our beautiful town!
- Protect Your Skin – a short Be Well Series video
- Warm Up Your Walk With QiGong – a short Be Well Series video
- Kwik Brain with Jimi Kwik – Podcast – After a childhood brain injury left him learning-challenged, Jimi Kwik created strategies to dramatically enhance his mental performance. He has since dedicated his life to helping other unleash their true genius and brainpower to learn anything faster and live a life of greater power, productivity and purpose. In this easy to digest bite-sized podcast, you will discover Kiwk’s favorite shortcuts to read faster, remember more, and ‘supercharge’ your greatest asset: your brain.
- The Little Book of Lykke by Meik Wiking- Book – A global roadmap for joy that offers a new approach to achieving everyday happiness that not only improves our own lives, but helps us build better communities and a better world. Available at CC Library, for digital checkout in print and audio through the Libby App or for purchase at Amazon.
- Peak Mind byAmishi P. Jha, PhD – Book -Focus without all the struggle, take back your attention from the pull of distraction, and function at your peak, for all that truly matters in your life. Available at CC Library, for digital checkout in print and audio through the Libby App or for purchase at Amazon.
- Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art by James Nestor – Book -No matter what you eat, how much you exercise, how skinny or young or wise you are, none of it matters if you’re not breathing properly. Available at CC Library, for digital checkout in print and audio through the Libby App or for purchase at Amazon.
- Plant Forward Solution by Charlotte Martin –Cookbook – Registered dietitian Charlotte Martin shows you how to make plants the center of your diet while still having the flexibility to incorporate healthy portions of your favorite animal proteins (i.e., meat, poultry, and seafood) whenever the craving strikes! The Plant-Forward Solution provides a wealth of easy-to-digest scientific evidence showing the power of plants for weight and blood sugar control, gut health, heart health, longevity, and more. Available for purchase at Amazon.
- Fresh Food Matters – Cookbook – Easy steps to health-inspired eating by Suzanne Landry. Escaping the lure of fad diets, the book shows how sensible and delicious food is the key to fabulous energy and health and makes it fun and easy to return to the simplicity of natural wholesome and delicious food. Available at CC Library
- Be Well Video Series – the complete series of Be Well Videos by CCOTM and its partners
- Calm, Insight Timer, Headspace – Meditation and Sleep apps – Subscription fees apply
- https://cohealthcouncil.org/diabetes-resources/ – Non-profit resources for preventing and Managing Type 2 Diabetes